AIDS Group Gets Ditched at Pride Parade
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
June 24 2012 1:39 PM ET
Things at Cleveland Pride parade didn't go as expected for one organization yesterday. According to Fox8, the AIDS Taskforce had arranged for a truck and a trailer from a local company, but when the driver arrived and realized he'd be driving in the LGBT Pride parade he then stormed off and drove away, after hurling obsenities at the organizers.
Tracey Jones, CEO of the AIDS Taskforce, told Fox's Annette Lawless,“It was really hard for us because today is so much about equal rights for all and the celebration of difference and the important of acknowledging who you are, and for him to drive away and kind of leave us high and dry was disappointing.”
In the end, the Taskforce found a replacement, even winning the first place prize for best float in the parade.
“Cleveland is a diverse city, and we acknowledge the difference in all kinds of ways," Jones told Fox8. "And that it’s really important for the civil rights movement of LGBTQ people and all people, that people aren’t shunned just because it’s something you’re not familiar with.”
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? March 07 2014 5:53 PM
- Women Op-ed: Why We Need International Women's Day March 07 2014 5:49 PM