WATCH: Lance Bass Worried His Coming Out Would 'Ruin' 'N Sync
BY Sunnivie Brydum
October 02 2012 2:40 PM ET
On The Ricki Lake Show yesterday, former 'N Sync member Lance Bass told the daytime talk host that he was "asexual" when he was with the band, because he feared that coming out as gay would "completely ruin 'N Sync if anyone knew my deep, dark secret."
Despite knowing that he was gay since he was 4 years old, Bass told Lake that he went along with homophobic lessons he heard in church and in the southern community in which he grew up. He even participated in antigay jokes and prayed nightly that he would "wake up straight."
"Coming out has definitely completely changed my life, and my career, and everything," Bass told Lake. "For good and bad. When you look at my career right after 'N Sync, I had a lot of things I wanted to do, and then coming out completely changed everything I wanted to do, but to me, in a good way. I would rather be in a position where I can help other people than be the biggest superstar in the world and pretending I'm straight."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- No More Bullying Meet the 2013 Point Scholars: Living Proof It Does Get Better 2 hours 27 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 5:05 AM
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 4:00 AM
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland June 18 2013 6:24 PM