WATCH: More Great Gay TV News
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
October 02 2012 5:41 PM ET
Gay TV Gets Renewed â€” Early for Once
In what critics say is a show of confidence, NBC has renewed three series for the full season that are popular among LGBT viewers: Go On, The New Normal, and Revolution. According to The Wrap, Revolution (a post-apocalyptic series centered around a Hunger Games-style female teen protagonist) and the super queer-friendly The Voice helped NBC emerge as the top-rated network during premiere week.
Go On, the Matthew Perry vehicle centered around a therapy group, features Julie White as a lesbian who lost her wife, while The New Normal has Andrew Ranells from The Book of Mormon playing the flightier half a gay couple having a child with a surrogate,
"Weâ€™re also very proud of our new comedy block of Go On and The New Normal," NBC entertainment president Jennifer Salke told Tim Molloy. "In partnering with Matthew Perry for Go On, creator Scott Silveri has created a comedy with a highly original voice that deftly combines humor and emotion. And Ryan Murphy and Ali Adler have created a truly unique family in The New Normal that is reflective of the changing dynamics of the world we live in. These shows are both welcome additions to our new lineup!â€ť (It helps that Ali Adler (ex-wife of The Talk's Sara Gilbert) is a mom herself, and Ryan Murphy is the king of all things gay. And Ellen Barkin is a costar.)
Says White of Go On's success: "Iâ€™ve done quite a few pilots, and they just donâ€™t get picked up. So this is the first one that Iâ€™ve done in a while that really has a shot. Iâ€™ve so got my fingers crossed. I would just so love to get to do it for a few years. This group is amazing.Theyâ€™re so darling and funny."
American Horror Story Gets Better?
Zachary Quinto, star of American Horror Story, talked to Access Hollywood about why the show's second season is even more "innovative" while trying to sidestep any real spoilers. Quinto was at the Emmys Presenters Gift Lounge, where he also talked about one of American Horror Story: Asylum's most notable stars, Voice judge Adam Levine.
A New Gay TV Series at CBS
Producer Will Gluck and Happy Endings writer Brian Gallivan (perhaps best known as the Sassy Gay Friend from the Internet) have landed a pilot commitment from CBS about Gallivan's life, according to Deadline.com. The family comedy will be based on Gallivan's life as the gay son in a large, overly involved Irish Catholic, sports-crazed Boston clan, reports Nellie Andreeva. Gallivan, part of L.A.'s Upright Citizens Brigade, is a Second City alum as well as an online sensation.
Noah's Arc Star Returns to Logo
Logo TV has announced that Darryl Stephens will be returning to the network, even though the hit gay cable series that made him a household name isn't. Stephens, star of Logo's popular Noah's Arc, will return in a new LGBT series called DTLA (get it? Downtown Los Angeles), according to Greg in Hollywood. The show focuses on the love (and sex) lives of eight friends in L.A. and features (among others) some big names, including Melanie Griffith and Sandra Bernhard. Greg Hernandez says the series is the first Kickstarter-funded TV series to ever land both U.S. and foreign distribution. It's produced by Larry Kennar, producer of The L Word.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- PHOTOS: New Yorkers Combat Violence With Protest
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader 2 hours 44 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? 2 hours 48 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! May 21 2013 8:29 PM
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. May 21 2013 8:25 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' May 21 2013 8:03 PM
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude May 21 2013 8:00 PM
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth May 21 2013 6:34 PM