New Normal, Happy Endings Canceled
BY Trudy Ring
May 10 2013 9:31 PM ET
NBC has canceled the gay-themed The New Normal, and ABC has pulled the plug on Happy Endings, which has a prominent gay character, although another network may pick up the latter.
The New Normal, created by Glee’s Ryan Murphy and starring Justin Bartha and Andrew Rannells as a gay couple seeking to become parents with a surrogate mother, had just modest ratings in its one season. NBC announced the cancellation today; the network’s only returning sitcoms will be the popular Parks & Recreation and the cult favorite Community, Deadline Hollywood reports.
On Happy Endings, an ensemble comedy about a group of Chicago friends, the nonstereotypical gay character Max, played by Adam Pally, became a breakout favorite. ABC today announced that the show, which has been on for three seasons, will not be renewed. The USA Network, however, has expressed interest in it and likely will begin serious negotiations about picking it up now that the cancellation is official, according to Deadline Hollywood.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Why Television Is Outpacing Film in Diversity
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM