Queen Latifah Tells Us About Her New Talk Show
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
September 17 2013 6:38 PM ET UPDATED: September 23 2013 5:21 PM ET
At left: The hip-hop star in the 1991 video for "Latifah's Had It Up 2 Here"
Still, Latifah is always learning from people around her, including Phylicia Rashad and Alfre Woodard, with whom she worked on Lifetime's 2012 reboot of Steel Magnolias.
“I’ve always looked up to both of them. I learned so much from each of them — they’re so different and I’ve learned different things from each. It’s hard to articulate exactly what those things are, but watching them do what they do was incredible. “
And though she absorbs everything around her and is trying to stay true to her values — even if that means infuriating LGBT fans who think it’s due time for her to talk about her personal life — the queen is always looking to the next challenge. Is this the life that little Dana Owens of East Orange, N.J., dreamed of before she became the queen?
“I always had great dreams and aspirations, but I can’t say I specifically envisioned this life, but I feel very blessed,” she says. Still, don’t call it a dream. “It never really felt like a dream because I had to work really hard to get where I am and I continue to work hard, but as I said before, I feel very blessed.”
The Queen Latifah Show airs on CBS Monday through Friday. Check local listings for times.
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Current Issue The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd 49 min 23 sec ago
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM