Queen Latifah Tells Us About Her New Talk Show
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
September 17 2013 5:38 PM ET UPDATED: September 23 2013 4:21 PM ET
At left: The hip-hop star in the 1991 video for "Latifah's Had It Up 2 Here"
Still, Latifah is always learning from people around her, including Phylicia Rashad and Alfre Woodard, with whom she worked on Lifetime's 2012 reboot of Steel Magnolias.
“I’ve always looked up to both of them. I learned so much from each of them — they’re so different and I’ve learned different things from each. It’s hard to articulate exactly what those things are, but watching them do what they do was incredible. “
And though she absorbs everything around her and is trying to stay true to her values — even if that means infuriating LGBT fans who think it’s due time for her to talk about her personal life — the queen is always looking to the next challenge. Is this the life that little Dana Owens of East Orange, N.J., dreamed of before she became the queen?
“I always had great dreams and aspirations, but I can’t say I specifically envisioned this life, but I feel very blessed,” she says. Still, don’t call it a dream. “It never really felt like a dream because I had to work really hard to get where I am and I continue to work hard, but as I said before, I feel very blessed.”
The Queen Latifah Show airs on CBS Monday through Friday. Check local listings for times.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Antigay Think Tank Could Use a Copy Editor
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries
- Bryan Singer Announces News for Next X-Men Film
- Politics Gay Former Republican Congressman Condemns Interparty Discrimination 1 hour 8 min ago
- World News Putin Tightens Grip on Kremlin-Run News Agencies 1 hour 12 min ago
- Film Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries 1 hour 21 min ago
- Travel Super Seniors of the Palm Springs Follies Prepare for the End 1 hour 26 min ago
- Film Bryan Singer Announces News for Next X-Men Film 1 hour 26 min ago
- Acceptance Matters WATCH: We Wish Every Coming Out Got a Hug-a-Thon 1 hour 35 min ago
- Marriage Equality Antigay Think Tank Could Use a Copy Editor 1 hour 39 min ago