BY Brandon Voss
August 11 2011 1:35 PM ET
The trend of Broadway shows reopening off-Broadway continues with Jonathan Larson’s rock musical masterpiece, which resets La Bohème in the AIDS-addled East Village. Reinvigorating the show with new visuals and an age-appropriate cast — you betta work, MJ Rodriguez as Angel — original director Michael Greif cements the action in 1991 and brings realism to what was bordering on caricature. Rentheads should be over the moon.
New World Stages, open-ended.
The Pretty Trap
Cause Célèbre’s New York premiere of Tennessee Williams's one-act precursor to The Glass Menagerie shows a softer, more sober side to the late playwright. Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner’s Katharine Houghton is a delicious Amanda in this little silver slipper of a play, which focuses — without Tom’s narration and gay angst — on the Wingfield family’s welcome of the gentleman caller, who is actually single and smitten with Laura!
The Acorn Theatre, through August 21.
The Judy Show – My Life as a Sitcom
I never miss Judy Gold’s stand-up, so believe me when I say that the lesbian comedian is at her best as she looks at her life through the lens of classic sitcoms from yesteryear. Written with Gold’s gay 25 Questions for a Jewish Mother collaborator Kate Moira Ryan, this multimedia musical comedy also chronicles Gold’s quest to get her own sitcom or reality show, a great gay pitch that was criminally declined by Logo and OWN.
DR2 Theatre, through October 22.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Music WATCH: Cher Wigs Out on The Voice 28 min 55 sec ago
- Entertainment News CA Town Hoists And Promptly Removes Gay Pride Flag 1 hour 36 min ago
- No More Bullying Meet the 2013 Point Scholars: Living Proof It Does Get Better 6:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 5:05 AM
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 4:00 AM
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM