Seat Filler: 's Guide to Theater
BY Brandon Voss
October 12 2011 8:17 PM ET
Driven by Our Town-y narration, James Lantz’s intimate and touching drama stars Bryan Fitzgerald and Will Roland as teens who swap spit in an old bus parked in the middle of an explosive conflict between a megachurch and a gas station. Though often steered off-course, it’s an admirable critique of faith-fueled small-town homophobia. The Bus next travels to Topeka, Kan., in hopes of imparting its message to Westboro Baptist Church.
59E59 Theatres, through October 30.
A self-referential memory play that recalls The Glass Menagerie, late gay playwright Lanford Wilson's autobiographical 1970 drama is enjoying a quietly powerful revival courtesy of Keen Company. Keith Nobbs, who memorably played gay in Stupid Kids and Four, is immensely engaging as Alan, a sweet but aimless 17-year-old who gets attacked for his perceived homosexuality after moving in with his estranged father’s new family.
The Clurman Theatre, through October 22.
Both n-words and f-words fly like daggers in MCC Theater’s piercing premiere of Jeff Talbott’s scintillating drama, which stars Glee’s Jonathan Groff as a gay playwright who has written a surefire hit about a black family in the projects. True Blood’s Rutina Wesley plays the actress hired as his stand-in when the play’s accepted into a prestigious festival, and American Pie’s Eddie Kaye Thomas provides comic relief as his devoted boyfriend.
Lucille Lortel Theatre, through October 22.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- Nintendo Will 'Fix' Bug That Allows Same-Sex Couples to Marry in Video Game
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 1 hour 40 min ago
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 2 hours 20 min ago
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM