Seat Filler: 's Guide to New York Theater
BY Brandon Voss
November 15 2011 7:17 PM ET
One of three British solo shows performed in rep as part of the 2011 Brits Off Broadway festival, James Gaddas’s lean and muscular monologue is a knockout under Donald Pulford’s punchy direction. The appealing Jonny Collis-Scurll stars as Flynn, a dedicated boxer and son of a much less successful fighter. As he does push-ups and pummels unseen opponents, we also learn that Flynn is also a gay man who overcame childhood bullying.
59E59 Theatres, through November 20.
Graphic unsafe sex scenes and full-frontal nudity eclipse all else in Thomas Bradshaw’s provocative moral satire — helmed by New Group’s out artistic director Scott Elliott — about icky folks like incestuous neo-Nazi siblings. In an ’80s-set storyline, an orphaned 14-year-old is taken in by an older gay couple who shamelessly sleep with him until he contracts HIV from another adult and grows up to indulge his own id with a black youth.
Acorn Theatre, through December 17.
Racial perceptions are challenged when a Filipina — is she a mail-order sex slave? — moves in with a pair of liberal roommates. The unhealthy heart of this likable lightweight comedy, which was written by The Social Network’s Jesse Eisenberg, is the lopsided bromance between neurotic weirdo Edgar (Eisenberg) and sleazebag stoner Vinny (Justin Bartha). During a bad acid trip, Edgar offers Vinny oral sex to prove his love and loyalty.
Cherry Lane Theatre, through December 18.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies 29 min 44 sec ago
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship 55 min 57 sec ago
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM