Who'd Look Hot as Broadway's Next Hedwig?
BY Brandon Voss
August 29 2014 11:50 AM ET
With great eye shadow comes great responsibility.
Andrew Rannells, a Tony nominee for his work in The Book of Mormon, is currently rocking a return to Broadway in the Tony Award-winning musical Hedwig and the Angry Inch as Hedwig, a fictional East German singer living as a female after a botched gender-reassignment operation.
Rannells only took over the role from Neil Patrick Harris as of August 20, but who should step in following the out Girls star's limited eight-week engagement?
After polling readers on which actor they wanted to see slip on Hedwig's heels, Playbill staffers mocked up some fun covers featuring potential replacements, including Cheyenne Jackson, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Patti LuPone, and Patrick Stewart.
The Broadway premiere of John Cameron Mitchell and Stephen Trask's 1998 cult rock musical, which won the Tony for Best Revival of a Musical, opened April 22 at the Belasco Theatre and recently recouped its investment. The original cast recording is now available.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- Bible-Quoting Man Shoots Couple With BB Gun Outside Minneapolis Gay Bar
- Modern Family Director Live-Tweets a Plane Passenger's Drunken Meltdown
- Outrage After Major Minn. Paper Sells Transphobic Coalition Full-Page Ad
- S.C. Fans Show Lack Of Creativity, Smarts in Michael Sam Posters