WATCH: Andrew Rannells Talks Hedwig With Jimmy Fallon
BY Brandon Voss
August 14 2014 12:44 PM ET
Jimmy Fallon thinks Andrew Rannells is "a pretty lady."
The out Girls star dropped by NBC's The Tonight Show last night to discuss his return to Broadway in the Tony Award-winning musical Hedwig and the Angry Inch.
Rannells will tackle the lead role of Hedwig, a fictional East German singer and "slip of a girly boy" living as a female after a botched gender-reassignment operation.
Neil Patrick Harris, who won the Tony for Best Actor in a Musical as Hedwig, will continue with the production through Sunday. Rannells, a Tony nominee for his work in The Book of Mormon, will take over August 20 for a limited eight-week run. No word yet on whether Rannells will continue his predecessor's tradition of sharing nude backstage selfies.
The Broadway premiere of John Cameron Mitchell and Stephen Trask's 1998 cult rock musical, which won the Tony for Best Revival of a Musical, opened April 22 at the Belasco Theatre and recently recouped its investment. The original cast recording is now available.
Watch Rannells chat about his new role, plus Taylor Swift and Jennifer Lopez, in the clip below.
- Iowa Couple Plans 1,000 Antigay Billboards
- Op-ed: Why I Unfriended My Mother
- Texas Rep.: Strand Gays on an Island, See What Happens
- Texas Gay Man, 32, Dies in Custody After Being Denied Medication
- Leslie Jordan: I Threw 'Sweet Iced Tea, Not Coffee' in Starbucks Fight
- The True Meaning of the Word 'Cisgender'