Gay Chicago Schools CEO Leaving
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 04 2010 6:05 PM ET
Ron Huberman, the first openly gay CEO of the Chicago public school system, has confirmed he’s leaving the post, the Chicago Tribunereports.
Media outlets reported last month that Huberman was stepping down, but he denied that his departure was imminent. He announced Wednesday, however, that November 29 will be his last day.
Huberman, who oversaw reforms as well as teacher layoffs in the time he headed the nation’s third-largest school district, said he did not wish to serve under a new mayoral administration. Mayor Richard M. Daley has decided not to seek reelection in 2011 after having been in office since 1989.
“Ron expressed to the mayor his desire not to work for another administration, and they discussed an appropriate time for Ron to step down,” Daley spokeswoman Jodi Kawada told the Tribune. Daley will appoint a replacement before Huberman’s last day, she said.
Huberman, a former police officer and head of the Chicago Transit Authority, became schools CEO early in 2009 when his predecessor, Arne Duncan, was named President Obama’s secretary of education.
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM
- Women WATCH: Santana Lopez as the Best Bad Santa Ever! December 06 2013 6:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Robertson Prays for Gays 'Recruited' By Abuse December 06 2013 4:41 PM