Starbucks CEO Cancels on Church Linked to Conversion Therapy
BY Julie Bolcer
August 11 2011 9:35 AM ET
Starbucks CEO and founder Howard Schultz canceled an appearance at Willow Creek Community Church after an online petition brought attention to the church's association with conversion therapy.
According to the Chicago Tribune, Schultz was scheduled to deliver a talk Friday about “How Starbucks Fought for its Life Without Losing Its Soul” during an annual leadership summit sponsored by the Willow Creek Association in South Barrington, Ill.
“Though Starbucks confirmed Schultz no longer planned to be there, the company would not attribute it to a campaign launched last week calling on Schultz to denounce the church’s stance before the event,” reports the Tribune.
The petition posted to Change.org drew more than 700 signatures and noted that Willow Creek maintained a long relationship with Exodus International, which teaches that gay people can be “cured” of their sexual orientation. The church ended its association with Exodus in 2009.
Earlier this summer the coffee company announced an investigation of allegations that a gay New York barista was fired for discussing his personal life because Starbucks had “zero tolerance for discrimination of any kind.”
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Business P.R. Agency Adds LGBT Practice 20 min 5 sec ago
- Travel A Tour Through the San Francisco of Looking, Season One 22 min 40 sec ago
- Women Houston Lesbian Couple Found Murdered, Cops Searching for Suspect 25 min 53 sec ago
- Women WATCH: 10 Worst Ways to Pick Up a Lesbian 28 min 16 sec ago
- Parenting Ubbas: The Golden Shower Toy 1 hour 24 min ago
- Russia WATCH: Moscow LGBT Demonstrators Attacked 1 hour 26 min ago
- Women WATCH: Lost Girl's Zoie Palmer Thanks Female Partner at Canadian Film Awards 1 hour 39 min ago