With Steve Jobs's Resignation, Apple Picks Tim Cook
BY Lucas Grindley
August 24 2011 7:54 PM ET
The new CEO of Apple is Tim Cook, a man outed as gay who many expected would take over the job if Steve Jobs ever had to resign, as he did today.
The company said the switch was made during a meeting of the board of directors and that Jobs had specifically advocated for Cook as his replacement. Cook had been chief operating officer, overseeing sales, operations and the supply chain.
“The board has complete confidence that Tim is the right person to be our next CEO,” said Art Levinson, chairman of Genentech, on behalf of Apple's board in a statement. “Tim’s 13 years of service to Apple have been marked by outstanding performance, and he has demonstrated remarkable talent and sound judgment in everything he does.”
Jobs has faced recurring health issues that took him away from his work. As Cook's profile rose in the tech world as a possible replacement, Valleywag reported based on anonymous sources that Cook is gay and that his ascension would make him "by far, the most powerful openly gay executive in tech."
Only helping to solidify that perception, Out magazine named Cook as number 1 in its "Power 50" in May.
"While it is Jobs’s prescience that has kept the Cupertino, Calif., company at the cutting edge of technology, it’s Cook who made sure Apple could deliver as demand rocketed," Out wrote. "Leader-in-waiting? Most definitely."
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go To Ex-Gay Camp
- Nintendo Will 'Fix' Bug That Allows Same-Sex Couples to Marry in Video Game
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
- Same-Sex Kiss in Comic Inspired by Real-World Controversy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride 1 min 50 sec ago
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 3 min 1 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Robin Tyler's Rally Cry at Long Beach Dyke March 3 min 25 sec ago
- Television WATCH: Gay Character in Peril in New Teen Wolf Season 3 Trailer 1 hour 3 min ago
- Commentary Stop Acting Like I'm Dead Because I Have HIV 1 hour 17 min ago
- Entertainment News 'Turn Back Time' For Cher's Birthday 1 hour 29 min ago
- Women Texas Judge Says Lesbian Mom Can't Live With Partner and Keep Custody of Kids 1 hour 34 min ago