With Steve Jobs's Resignation, Apple Picks Tim Cook
BY Lucas Grindley
August 24 2011 7:54 PM ET
The new CEO of Apple is Tim Cook, a man outed as gay who many expected would take over the job if Steve Jobs ever had to resign, as he did today.
The company said the switch was made during a meeting of the board of directors and that Jobs had specifically advocated for Cook as his replacement. Cook had been chief operating officer, overseeing sales, operations and the supply chain.
“The board has complete confidence that Tim is the right person to be our next CEO,” said Art Levinson, chairman of Genentech, on behalf of Apple's board in a statement. “Tim’s 13 years of service to Apple have been marked by outstanding performance, and he has demonstrated remarkable talent and sound judgment in everything he does.”
Jobs has faced recurring health issues that took him away from his work. As Cook's profile rose in the tech world as a possible replacement, Valleywag reported based on anonymous sources that Cook is gay and that his ascension would make him "by far, the most powerful openly gay executive in tech."
Only helping to solidify that perception, Out magazine named Cook as number 1 in its "Power 50" in May.
"While it is Jobs’s prescience that has kept the Cupertino, Calif., company at the cutting edge of technology, it’s Cook who made sure Apple could deliver as demand rocketed," Out wrote. "Leader-in-waiting? Most definitely."
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
- Martina Navratilova Blasts Russian Antigay Law
- Sen. Lisa Murkowski Endorses Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Trans Woman Attacked in Hollywood Hate Crime Speaks Out, Cops Offer Reward
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Should Brazil Legalize 'Conversion' Therapy? 14 min 21 sec ago
- World News Liberal Australian MP Crosses Aisle In Support of LGBT Nondiscrimination 26 min 15 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Hot Lesbians Don Cowboy Hats, Chaps and Spurs for Cowgirl Up 38 min 48 sec ago
- Pride PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine 54 min 18 sec ago
- World News Brazil Lawmakers Legalize 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 58 min 19 sec ago
- Sports Navratilova Blasts Russian Antigay Law 1 hour 3 min ago
- Marriage Equality Florida Group Aims to Build Marriage Equality Support 1 hour 53 min ago