N.C. University Suspends Relationship With Chick-fil-A
BY Neal Broverman
August 13 2012 3:30 PM ET UPDATED: August 13 2012 4:28 PM ET
Responding to a petition, North Carolina's Davidson College will stop serving Chick-fil-A at itsmonthly After Midnight events.
After Midnight, a late-night food and music party, features Chick-fil-A offerings. But after president Dan Cathy's statements condemning same-sex marriage and anyone who believes in it, a petition circulated against serving the chain's food; 500 signatures were received. The school will now stop serving any Chick-fil-A items until university board members decide to make the move permanent.
"The Davidson College Union Board is firmly committed to building an inclusive community that serves each member of our student body," read part of a statement from the school.
Campus Pride executive director Shane Windmeyer released the following statement: "Chick-fil-A's President Dan Cathy is in for a surprise. College students are not going to tolerate a corporation that donates profits to documented hate groups or antigay causes. Davidson College is a perfect example of how colleges will be slowly distancing themselves from the Chick-fil-A brand, even if it will take time. The company is out of touch with the next generation who just wants a good chicken sandwich, hold the hate. The real issue at hand is not freedom of speech, but Chick-fil-A’s secretive funding of documented antigay hate groups. There is no justification for such a business operating on our nation’s campuses. Students and administrators alike need to know that revenues going to Chick-fil-A drive funding for groups that are almost certainly in conflict with campus nondiscrimination policies and are harmful to creating a safe campus climate for all students."
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 14 min 58 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 30 min 41 sec ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 47 min 16 sec ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 1 hour 5 min ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 1 hour 7 min ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 1 hour 37 min ago
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 2 hours 30 min ago