N.C. University Suspends Relationship With Chick-fil-A
BY Neal Broverman
August 13 2012 2:30 PM ET UPDATED: August 13 2012 3:28 PM ET
Responding to a petition, North Carolina's Davidson College will stop serving Chick-fil-A at itsmonthly After Midnight events.
After Midnight, a late-night food and music party, features Chick-fil-A offerings. But after president Dan Cathy's statements condemning same-sex marriage and anyone who believes in it, a petition circulated against serving the chain's food; 500 signatures were received. The school will now stop serving any Chick-fil-A items until university board members decide to make the move permanent.
"The Davidson College Union Board is firmly committed to building an inclusive community that serves each member of our student body," read part of a statement from the school.
Campus Pride executive director Shane Windmeyer released the following statement: "Chick-fil-A's President Dan Cathy is in for a surprise. College students are not going to tolerate a corporation that donates profits to documented hate groups or antigay causes. Davidson College is a perfect example of how colleges will be slowly distancing themselves from the Chick-fil-A brand, even if it will take time. The company is out of touch with the next generation who just wants a good chicken sandwich, hold the hate. The real issue at hand is not freedom of speech, but Chick-fil-A’s secretive funding of documented antigay hate groups. There is no justification for such a business operating on our nation’s campuses. Students and administrators alike need to know that revenues going to Chick-fil-A drive funding for groups that are almost certainly in conflict with campus nondiscrimination policies and are harmful to creating a safe campus climate for all students."
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer December 07 2013 4:00 AM