N.C. University Suspends Relationship With Chick-fil-A
BY Neal Broverman
August 13 2012 3:30 PM ET UPDATED: August 13 2012 4:28 PM ET
Responding to a petition, North Carolina's Davidson College will stop serving Chick-fil-A at itsmonthly After Midnight events.
After Midnight, a late-night food and music party, features Chick-fil-A offerings. But after president Dan Cathy's statements condemning same-sex marriage and anyone who believes in it, a petition circulated against serving the chain's food; 500 signatures were received. The school will now stop serving any Chick-fil-A items until university board members decide to make the move permanent.
"The Davidson College Union Board is firmly committed to building an inclusive community that serves each member of our student body," read part of a statement from the school.
Campus Pride executive director Shane Windmeyer released the following statement: "Chick-fil-A's President Dan Cathy is in for a surprise. College students are not going to tolerate a corporation that donates profits to documented hate groups or antigay causes. Davidson College is a perfect example of how colleges will be slowly distancing themselves from the Chick-fil-A brand, even if it will take time. The company is out of touch with the next generation who just wants a good chicken sandwich, hold the hate. The real issue at hand is not freedom of speech, but Chick-fil-A’s secretive funding of documented antigay hate groups. There is no justification for such a business operating on our nation’s campuses. Students and administrators alike need to know that revenues going to Chick-fil-A drive funding for groups that are almost certainly in conflict with campus nondiscrimination policies and are harmful to creating a safe campus climate for all students."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth Boy Scouts' Decision Draws Heated Reaction From All Sides 36 min 11 sec ago
- Entertainment News Do You Hear 'Girl Men' or 'Guru Men?' 1 hour 55 min ago
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 7:00 AM
- Television The Brains Behind Husbands 6:03 AM
- Tyler Curry The 'Undetectable' Paradox in Talking About HIV 6:00 AM
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 4:00 AM
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM