Boeing Reverses Course, Will Offer Gay Spouses Survivor Benefits
BY Trudy Ring
January 18 2013 3:30 PM ET
Aircraft manufacturer Boeing Co., which had resisted granting equal survivor pension benefits to same-sex spouses despite Washington State’s new marriage equality law, has now agreed to do so, reports Seattle newspaper The Stranger.
Executives at Boeing, which maintains extensive operations in Washington despite moving its headquarters from Seattle to Chicago several years ago, had told union negotiators in November that because pensions are governed by federal law, it would not offer surviving same-sex spouses the same benefits as opposite-sex spouses. They said federal law, which does not recognize same-sex marriages, would override Washington’s marriage equality law, passed by the legislature last year and affirmed by voters in November.
Now, as contract negotiations continue with the Society of Professional Engineering Employees in Aerospace, the company has agreed to the following language: “Recognizing Boeing’s commitment to equality without regard to sexual orientation, Boeing will extend pension survivor benefits to all spouses, as defined under either State or Federal law whichever defines the same sex person as a spouse.”
“We are satisfied that this language protects same-sex spouses,” Ray Goforth, executive director of SPEEA’s IFPTE Local 2001, told The Stranger. The local represents 23,000 Boeing engineers and technical workers, most of them in Washington. After Boeing initially denied the benefits, an online petition urging the company to grant them received 79,000 signatures.
Despite the agreement on survivor benefits, Boeing and the union remain far apart on many other issues, the paper notes.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride May 20 2013 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 May 20 2013 6:00 PM