Boeing Reverses Course, Will Offer Gay Spouses Survivor Benefits
BY Trudy Ring
January 18 2013 2:30 PM ET
Aircraft manufacturer Boeing Co., which had resisted granting equal survivor pension benefits to same-sex spouses despite Washington State’s new marriage equality law, has now agreed to do so, reports Seattle newspaper The Stranger.
Executives at Boeing, which maintains extensive operations in Washington despite moving its headquarters from Seattle to Chicago several years ago, had told union negotiators in November that because pensions are governed by federal law, it would not offer surviving same-sex spouses the same benefits as opposite-sex spouses. They said federal law, which does not recognize same-sex marriages, would override Washington’s marriage equality law, passed by the legislature last year and affirmed by voters in November.
Now, as contract negotiations continue with the Society of Professional Engineering Employees in Aerospace, the company has agreed to the following language: “Recognizing Boeing’s commitment to equality without regard to sexual orientation, Boeing will extend pension survivor benefits to all spouses, as defined under either State or Federal law whichever defines the same sex person as a spouse.”
“We are satisfied that this language protects same-sex spouses,” Ray Goforth, executive director of SPEEA’s IFPTE Local 2001, told The Stranger. The local represents 23,000 Boeing engineers and technical workers, most of them in Washington. After Boeing initially denied the benefits, an online petition urging the company to grant them received 79,000 signatures.
Despite the agreement on survivor benefits, Boeing and the union remain far apart on many other issues, the paper notes.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson December 12 2013 6:03 PM
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! December 12 2013 4:20 PM