Pioneers of Playfulness
BY Advocate Contributors
September 17 2012 4:00 AM ET
America has more hotels than you can shake a pillow mint at. After a while, they all start to look (and feel) the same. Well, all but Kimpton. This San Francisco-based collection of more than 100 boutique hotels and chef-driven restaurants in 24 cities stands out in the hospitality crowd, wowing you with unique and stylish design, playful attitude, and heartfelt spirit of diversity.
Founded on fun. Our founder, Bill Kimpton, introduced the boutique hotel to America in 1981. Since then, Kimpton has continued to dream up ways to make guests feel comfortable being themselves. Feel free to bring Fido with you, or request a live goldfish in your room. Wrap up in a frisky animal-print robe. Unwind during the evening complimentary wine hour, where managers sometimes challenge guests to spontaneous hula hoop contests. Then there’s Kimpton’s InTouch loyalty program, treating members to personalized privileges like the opportunity to “Raid the Mini Bar,” complimentary WiFi, and the ability to earn free nights.
Calling all foodies. Throw out all your preconceived notions about “hotel restaurants.” Kimpton’s 58 restaurants are chef-driven, local hot spots. With seasonal menus and expertly crafted cocktails, what’s not to love?
It’s all well and good. Staying fit on the road isn’t easy, but Kimpton cares about helping you do just that. Healthy in-room menu options, jogging maps, free bike rentals, and in-room yoga mats are just some of the ways Kimpton lets you stay true to your fitness routine.
Proud since day 1. For over 30 years, Kimpton has been on the front lines and behind the scenes, supporting the LGBT community. In fact, we were the first hotel company to score 100% on the HRC Corporate Equality index. From our diverse group of hotels and restaurants to our internal policies of inclusion, we celebrate individuality in everything we do.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! 55 min 11 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. 58 min 56 sec ago
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' 1 hour 20 min ago
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude 1 hour 24 min ago
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 2 hours 49 min ago
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 5:39 PM
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 5:22 PM