Pioneers of Playfulness
BY Advocate Contributors
September 17 2012 4:00 AM ET
America has more hotels than you can shake a pillow mint at. After a while, they all start to look (and feel) the same. Well, all but Kimpton. This San Francisco-based collection of more than 100 boutique hotels and chef-driven restaurants in 24 cities stands out in the hospitality crowd, wowing you with unique and stylish design, playful attitude, and heartfelt spirit of diversity.
Founded on fun. Our founder, Bill Kimpton, introduced the boutique hotel to America in 1981. Since then, Kimpton has continued to dream up ways to make guests feel comfortable being themselves. Feel free to bring Fido with you, or request a live goldfish in your room. Wrap up in a frisky animal-print robe. Unwind during the evening complimentary wine hour, where managers sometimes challenge guests to spontaneous hula hoop contests. Then there’s Kimpton’s InTouch loyalty program, treating members to personalized privileges like the opportunity to “Raid the Mini Bar,” complimentary WiFi, and the ability to earn free nights.
Calling all foodies. Throw out all your preconceived notions about “hotel restaurants.” Kimpton’s 58 restaurants are chef-driven, local hot spots. With seasonal menus and expertly crafted cocktails, what’s not to love?
It’s all well and good. Staying fit on the road isn’t easy, but Kimpton cares about helping you do just that. Healthy in-room menu options, jogging maps, free bike rentals, and in-room yoga mats are just some of the ways Kimpton lets you stay true to your fitness routine.
Proud since day 1. For over 30 years, Kimpton has been on the front lines and behind the scenes, supporting the LGBT community. In fact, we were the first hotel company to score 100% on the HRC Corporate Equality index. From our diverse group of hotels and restaurants to our internal policies of inclusion, we celebrate individuality in everything we do.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Todd Haynes To Direct Blanchett/Wasikowska in Patricia Highsmith Lesbian Potboiler 1 min 52 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Is 'Scared, Overwhelmed' By Potential Felony Sex Abuse Charges 29 min 46 sec ago
- World News Australia's Penny Wong Fights Homophobic Comments 50 min 39 sec ago
- Women Pretty Little Liars Adds Rumer Willis to Roster and Lands Teen Choice Nominations 53 min 33 sec ago
- Music WATCH: Adam Levine Gets a Shirtless Paint Job 1 hour 6 min ago
- Books Three Great Books About HIV 1 hour 8 min ago
- Women WATCH: Amy Schumer Uses Tig Notaro's Cancer for Her Own Personal Gain 1 hour 26 min ago