Subaru of America and Dining Out for Life
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 03 2013 3:00 AM ET
Above: Celebrity spokespeople for Dining Out For Life hosted by Subaru include Pam Grier, Ted Allen and Daisy Martinez. To find a participating restaurant near you, visit DiningOutForLife.com.
Subaru is proud Host Sponsor of Dining Out For Life, an annual AIDS fundraiser held the last Thursday in April in over 60 cities across North America. On average, $4 million is raised in just one day of dining. Funds raised in each city stay in that city to support local HIV/AIDS services.
The idea behind the single-day event is simple and effective: Dine Out, Fight AIDS. Some 3,000 restaurants donate from 25% — 100% of the day's food sales to local Dining Out For Life licensed organizations to fund care, prevention, education, testing, counseling and other essential HIV/AIDS services.
Dining Out For Life spokespeople include Ted Allen (Food Network's Chopped), actor Pam Grier (Foxy, Jackie Brown), Chef Daisy Martinez (Food Network's ¡Viva Daisy!) and designer Mondo Guerra (Project Runway All-Stars.)
Dining Out For Life began in Philadelphia in 1991 and has since grown into an international event — raising nearly $25 million since Subaru joined as sponsor of the event. According to Chief Marketing Officer Dean Evans, "Subaru of America is deeply committed and invested in the cause and our Subaru dealer network is supportive of AIDS Service Organizations in their region. It is a perfect fit, as Subaru drivers are socially-conscious and identify themselves as foodies who enjoy dining out!"
BE A MOVER AND SHAKER! Mondo Guerra, winner of Lifetime's Project Runway All-Stars has created a limited edition "Movers & Shakers" t-shirt to benefit Dining Out For Life. "I am a creature of expression through fashion and through my advocacy work. Dining Out For Life is our opportunity to celebrate friends, food and being truly fabulous in helping others," says Guerra.
Guerra, who disclosed his HIV-positive status on Project Runway, has become a prominent advocate for the fight against HIV/AIDS. "I was so afraid of the backlash and how people were going to react (about my HIV-positive status), because I hadn't talked about it for ten years, but there was this outpouring of love and support from the community at large.
I really felt like it was my responsibility to continue this conversation on HIV/AIDS and that is why I have become an advocate for the cause."
This limited edition t-shirt can be yours for just $25 and is available for purchase at www.subarugear.com. The shirt is available in a ladies v-neck and men's crew neck, in sizes small-2XL. Do your part and look Fab with the collectible Dining Out For Life tee today!
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 1 hour 51 min ago
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM