WATCH: Stephen Colbert Dissects 'Don't Say Gay' Legislator
BY Trudy Ring
February 08 2013 3:44 PM ET
Stephen Colbert offered his distinctive take last night on Tennessee state senator Stacey Campfield, author of the infamous “don’t say gay” bill that would ban discussion of homosexuality in public schools.
The host of The Colbert Report noted that in a recent interview with TMZ Live, Campfield described gay activists as “the biggest bullies in the world,” to which Colbert responded, “It’s well known. Homosexuals, notorious bullies. Many of them spend their teenage years mercilessly ramming their face into the football team’s fists.”
He also observed that the new version of Campfield’s bill, which he introduced last month after an earlier version failed to pass two years ago, would require school staffers to report students’ conversations about homosexuality to their parents. “It’s gone from ‘don’t say gay’ to gaaaaaaaaaay!!!” Colbert said.
He also said of the bill, “It’s not about ostracizing gay students into a life of loneliness. It’s all about education. We are teaching these children, isolated by their identity, that there is absolutely no adult that they can trust.”
Below, watch Colbert and the TMZ Live segment, in which Campfield, among other things, says gay activists should “quit trying to ram [homosexuality] down everybody’s throats.”
- An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement?
- Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- Martina Navratilova Blasts Russian Antigay Law
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend 1 hour 24 min ago
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 12:50 AM
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini June 19 2013 11:38 PM
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs June 19 2013 7:18 PM