The 5 Hottest Transgender Comedians
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
March 18 2013 7:00 AM ET
Last year, when Ian Harvie — known best as the world’s first out FTM transgender comedian — asked his fans to help him film his first comedy special, supporters came out in droves. Long a favorite among other LGBT performers, like Margaret Cho (who once described herself as his number 1 fan), Harvie saw his fans came out in force to support his Kickstarter campaign. Rewards included Cho offering a private Skype or Facetime Mini Concert with her and Harvie, and the comic offering offering mix tapes, awkwardly long hugs, seminude photos, and the rather attractive Harvie acting as your handyman for a day.
“I will be the first trans guy with his own standup comedy special on television,” Harvie says of the show, which filmed last year at the Portland Stage Company in Portland, Maine. “You bet your sweet ass I will!” And it's here: Super Hero: Ian Harvie’s Standup Comedy Special will debut May 13 at Out Twin Cities Film Festival in Minneapolis.
Harvie, who is relentlessly touring, has appeared on television and radio programs, spoken at numerous universities, and has done comedy all over the country. With his rugged good looks and unassuming comedy, he's dispelled a lot of myths about trans men (while being funny too).
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- HIV & AIDS Why Are a Higher Percentage of Native Americans Dying from AIDS Complications Than Any Other Group? 1 hour 37 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Lorde Is Not Having Your Stupid Lesbian Joke 2 hours 2 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: In Defense of Looking 7:00 AM
- Current Issue Truly Social Networking 6:01 AM
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 5:00 AM
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM