WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
BY Sunnivie Brydum
May 20 2013 3:31 PM ET
Saturday's season finale of Saturday Night Live was chock-full of gay-adjacent sketches, but none was quite as biting as a skit featuring host Ben Affleck as the leader of a camp to turn gay kids straight.
Blatantly riffing on the absurdity of the scientifically discredited "ex-gay" movement, Affleck's camp counselor fondly recalled how much he "loved" being gay, saying, "It just felt natural and right."
Until the Holy Spirit intervened, of course, and the counselor found himself in a "happy" straight marriage.
"Hetero is better, yo!" quips Affleck, before reciting the day's activities, including musical performances, a discussion about Ralph Macchio's lips in The Outsiders and a hot dog eating contest.
Watch Affleck, a longtime LGBT ally and supporter of marriage equality, lambaste the absurdity of "ex-gay" concept in the video below, via Mediaite.
- Film Why Television Is Outpacing Film in Diversity 38 min 47 sec ago
- Current Issue A Letter to My Partners 1 hour 37 min ago
- Current Issue Number Crunch: A Church in Crisis 2 hours 38 min ago
- Current Issue The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd 4:00 AM
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM