WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
BY Sunnivie Brydum
May 20 2013 3:31 PM ET
Saturday's season finale of Saturday Night Live was chock-full of gay-adjacent sketches, but none was quite as biting as a skit featuring host Ben Affleck as the leader of a camp to turn gay kids straight.
Blatantly riffing on the absurdity of the scientifically discredited "ex-gay" movement, Affleck's camp counselor fondly recalled how much he "loved" being gay, saying, "It just felt natural and right."
Until the Holy Spirit intervened, of course, and the counselor found himself in a "happy" straight marriage.
"Hetero is better, yo!" quips Affleck, before reciting the day's activities, including musical performances, a discussion about Ralph Macchio's lips in The Outsiders and a hot dog eating contest.
Watch Affleck, a longtime LGBT ally and supporter of marriage equality, lambaste the absurdity of "ex-gay" concept in the video below, via Mediaite.
- EXCLUSIVE: Bette Midler Covers TLC's 'Waterfalls'
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Op-ed: How Transparent Tried and Failed to Represent Trans Men
- Playwright Responds to N.C. High School That Canceled Play Due to Gay Scene
- QUIZ: Are You Afraid of Gay PDA?