Op-ed: Brittney Griner Is Revolutionizing Women's Basketball
BY Ella Vincent
April 30 2013 4:48 AM ET
Basketball star Brittney Griner is one to watch for many reasons. She came out as gay before she had her first professional game for the WNBA’s Phoenix Mercury. She is one of the rare athletes to come out as an active player. It was a moment that showed how far America has progressed, but also how far it still has to go. Google her and "Brittney Griner man" shows up as often as her dunks when she played for Baylor University. More disturbing than the comments about her being a man are the attempts to make Griner feel ashamed for preferring pants over dresses. However, with Griner set to debut on the national stage this summer, can butch female athletes be free to express themselves?
- Kris Humphries Blames Vague Tweet, Supports Bruce Jenner
- Check Out The Enormous Support for Bruce Jenner from Celebs on Twitter
- Bruce Jenner: 'I'm A Woman'
- Huge Ratings Are In for Bruce Jenner Interview
- Op-ed: The White Party and Gay Culture Need More Color
- Reba McEntire: First Time I Saw a Reba Drag Queen 'It Really Ticked Me Off'