Albanian Official: Beat Gays with a Stick
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 28 2012 7:52 AM ET
The European Union on Tuesday condemned recent remarks by an Albanian official who advocated violence against LGBT people at an upcoming gay pride festival.
Ekrem Spahiu, Albania’s deputy defense minister, told a local newspaper last week of attendees at a May 17 pride festival that coincides with the International Day against Homophobia and Transphobia: “What remains to be done is to beat them up with a stick. If you don’t understand this, I can explain it: to beat them with a rubber stick.”
Via Associated Press:
The EU’s office in [Albanian capital] Tirana condemned “any discriminatory rhetoric as well as any incitement to hatred or violence.”
Albania has applied to join the 27 nation bloc and Brussels issues annual reports on the country’s progress in meeting EU entry requirements.
The EU “strongly urges the Albanian authorities to ensure that such behavior is not repeated,” it said in its statement.
Albanian prime minister Sali Berisha has criticized the remarks as “unacceptable.”
Read the story here.
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married 1 hour 26 min ago
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling 2 hours 20 min ago
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' 2 hours 53 min ago
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 6:03 PM