Antigay Hate Crimes Second Highest Category in Nation
BY Michelle Garcia
December 11 2012 1:27 PM ET
Hate crimes against gay people are up 2.6% over last year, while the number of hate crimes is down overall across the U.S.
Out of 6,222 hate crimes reported nationwide, half were racially motivated, but antigay crimes account for the second highest category. According to the report, 1,572 crimes (20.4%) were reported on the basis of sexual orientation.
HRC President Chad Griffin commended the FBI's reporting.
“The 2011 FBI hate crimes data is a sad reminder that even as we make great strides toward equality under the law, LGBT people in face dangers in America,” said HRC President Chad Griffin. “We must rid our country of the violence that has devastated our community for far too long.”
A breakdown of hate crimes according to sexual orientation:
- 56.7% were victims of an offender’s anti-male homosexual bias.
- 29.6% were victims of an anti-homosexual bias.
- 11.1% were victims of an anti-female homosexual bias.
- 1.5% were victims of anti-bisexual bias.
- 1.2% were victims of an anti-heterosexual bias.
The FBI does not report the rates of hate crimes against transgender people, and gender non-conforming people, but that will change when the FBI begins collecting that data in 2013.
- Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Figure Skater Brian Boitano Comes Out
- New Mexico Supreme Court Declares Statewide Marriage Equality
- Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out
- Op-ed: Pope Francis Has Not Made Good on Transgender Rights
- Entertainment News WATCH: Ellen DeGeneres' First Trailer for the Oscars December 19 2013 11:06 PM
- Travel Futuristic Vegas Nightclub Goes Gay December 19 2013 8:42 PM
- Obituaries Washington Marriage Equality Opponent Dies December 19 2013 8:10 PM
- Film Paul Rudd Set to Star in Marvel Comics Ant-Man Film December 19 2013 7:08 PM
- Entertainment News Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out December 19 2013 6:36 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Hotel Chain December 19 2013 6:33 PM
- People Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny December 19 2013 6:18 PM