Fifth-Grader Brings Butcher Knife to School After Reported Antigay Bullying
BY Sunnivie Brydum
January 16 2013 5:11 PM ET
An 11-year-old fifth-grader in Winter Haven, Fla., brought an eight-inch butcher knife to school after being subjected to antigay bullying, according to Gawker.
Other students in the boy's class at Inwood Elementary School noticed the knife sticking out from the boy's Scooby-Doo book binder and reported the weapon to teachers. Police are investigating the situation, but there were no injuries, and the school contends that no student was ever in danger.
The boy's father said his son was being bullied at school, for what his grandmother said might be perceived as "gay tendencies." The boy's family say they informed school officials about the bullying, but saw no action taken. They contend the boy brought the knife to school to defend himself.
School and police officials challenge the family's allegation that the student was bullied and administrators did nothing to intervene.
"Right now there is nothing on file with the school that she has been told of any bullying," police captain David Brannan told a local ABC affiliate. "But there will be more interviews done to find out."
The child is currently in custody at a juvenile assessment center in Polk County, reports the station.
- Girl Scouts Return $100K When Donor Demands It 'Not Be Used' For Trans Girls
- Tennessee Hardware Store Puts Up 'No Gays Allowed' Sign
- Girl Scouts Raise $100,000 in One Day After Dropping Transphobic Donor
- WATCH: Jon Stewart on GOP Reaction to Marriage Equality: 'Voldemort Has Risen'
- Op-ed: Why, No Matter What, I Still Can't Marry My Girlfriend
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers