Fifth-Grader Brings Butcher Knife to School After Reported Antigay Bullying
BY Sunnivie Brydum
January 16 2013 5:11 PM ET
An 11-year-old fifth-grader in Winter Haven, Fla., brought an eight-inch butcher knife to school after being subjected to antigay bullying, according to Gawker.
Other students in the boy's class at Inwood Elementary School noticed the knife sticking out from the boy's Scooby-Doo book binder and reported the weapon to teachers. Police are investigating the situation, but there were no injuries, and the school contends that no student was ever in danger.
The boy's father said his son was being bullied at school, for what his grandmother said might be perceived as "gay tendencies." The boy's family say they informed school officials about the bullying, but saw no action taken. They contend the boy brought the knife to school to defend himself.
School and police officials challenge the family's allegation that the student was bullied and administrators did nothing to intervene.
"Right now there is nothing on file with the school that she has been told of any bullying," police captain David Brannan told a local ABC affiliate. "But there will be more interviews done to find out."
The child is currently in custody at a juvenile assessment center in Polk County, reports the station.
- An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement?
- Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Give Homeless LGBT Youth a 'Shred of Hope'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth Give Homeless LGBT Youth a 'Shred of Hope' 1 hour 34 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend 4:00 AM
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 12:50 AM
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini June 19 2013 11:38 PM
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM