Body of Murdered Gay Mayoral Candidate Found in Mississippi
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
February 27 2013 3:17 PM ET
Coahoma County, Miss., coroner Scotty Meredith reported today that investigators believe they have located the body of gay Clarksdale mayoral candidate Marco McMillian. According to the Jackson Clarion Ledger, a body was found near the Mississippi River, and though the identification hasn't officially been confirmed, Meredith told reporter Emily La Coz that McMillian “is the only person we have missing.”
McMillian, CEO of MWM & Associates — a consulting firm that works with nonprofit organizations — had been missing since Tuesday morning. ABC 24 News reported that inside sources say McMillian, who until his death was in a bid to become mayor of Clarksdale, gave a ride to someone who ended up killing him, dumping his body along a river levee west of the city, and stole his SUV.
It was, in fact, it was a head on collision with McMillian's SUV that led investigators to search for the candidate. His vehicle was found around 8:30 a.m. Tuesday near the Coahoma County-Tallahatchie County line, reports Jackie Orozco, and when McMillian wasn't in it police began to search for him.
The Mississippi Bureau of Investigation is now looking into the case. The Victory Fund tweeted its condolences, saying “Our hearts go out to the family and friends of Marco McMillian, one of the 1st viable openly LGBT candidates in Mississippi.”
In fact, McMillian, who had served as international executive director of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity and chief of staff to the president of Alabama A&M University, was apparently in a tight mayoral race.
One of his opponents, attorney Bill Luckett, offered his condolences, calling McMillian "a very articulate, clean-cut young man. It’s a bizarre and tragic situation that deeply saddened him.”
The last message McMillian posted on Facebook is a telling reminder of the young man's legacy. "If you must judge me, judge me not by who I have become, but rather judge me by the difference I attempt to make in the lives of other people."
- Morrisey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- New York Officials Demand Olympic Sponsors Take Action
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Transgender Are Federal Contractors Allowed to Discriminate Against Trans People? 3 min 15 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS Nelson Mandela, HIV Advocate and Humanitarian, Dies at 95 21 min 49 sec ago
- Books Morrisey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography 38 min 31 sec ago
- World News Nelson Mandela, Humanitarian and HIV Advocate, Dies at 95 40 min 18 sec ago
- Women Toni Braxton's Dream Role Is to Play Lesbian on Orange Is the New Black 41 min 28 sec ago
- Entertainment News Sam Champion Receives Emotional Send-Off From Good Morning America 1 hour 11 min ago
- Style Model Watch: Learn How To Charm The Camera With Marc Buckner 1 hour 42 min ago