Gay Man Tortured to Death in Russia
BY Michelle Garcia
May 12 2013 12:52 PM ET
A gay man in Volgograd, Russia, was tortured to death and found dead in the courtyard of an apartment building, investigators said Sunday.
Agence France-Presse reports that the attack may be evidence of growing hostility toward LGBT people across Russia. Natalia Kunitskaya, a spokeswoman for the Volgograd region branch of the Investigative Committee, said the attack was likely a hate crime.
The 23-year old victim was "raped with beer bottles and had his skull smashed with a stone," Kunitskaya said.
Two men, ages 22 and 27, have been detained in connection to the attack. An investigator told Echo of Moscow that the two men began beating the victim after they were drinking and he revealed to them that he was gay.
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey 4:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Love Starts With Acceptance 4:00 AM
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM