Gay Man Tortured to Death in Russia
BY Michelle Garcia
May 12 2013 1:52 PM ET
A gay man in Volgograd, Russia, was tortured to death and found dead in the courtyard of an apartment building, investigators said Sunday.
Agence France-Presse reports that the attack may be evidence of growing hostility toward LGBT people across Russia. Natalia Kunitskaya, a spokeswoman for the Volgograd region branch of the Investigative Committee, said the attack was likely a hate crime.
The 23-year old victim was "raped with beer bottles and had his skull smashed with a stone," Kunitskaya said.
Two men, ages 22 and 27, have been detained in connection to the attack. An investigator told Echo of Moscow that the two men began beating the victim after they were drinking and he revealed to them that he was gay.
- Television Juliet Mills: Back to Nannying, With a Twist 25 min 46 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto 1 hour 10 min ago
- Film Why Television Is Outpacing Film in Diversity 7:00 AM
- Current Issue A Letter to My Partners 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Number Crunch: A Church in Crisis 5:00 AM
- Current Issue The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd 4:00 AM
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM