Gay Man Tortured to Death in Russia
BY Michelle Garcia
May 12 2013 1:52 PM ET
A gay man in Volgograd, Russia, was tortured to death and found dead in the courtyard of an apartment building, investigators said Sunday.
Agence France-Presse reports that the attack may be evidence of growing hostility toward LGBT people across Russia. Natalia Kunitskaya, a spokeswoman for the Volgograd region branch of the Investigative Committee, said the attack was likely a hate crime.
The 23-year old victim was "raped with beer bottles and had his skull smashed with a stone," Kunitskaya said.
Two men, ages 22 and 27, have been detained in connection to the attack. An investigator told Echo of Moscow that the two men began beating the victim after they were drinking and he revealed to them that he was gay.
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Minister to LGBT People: Thanks for Making Me More Antigay
- Op-ed: The Far-Reaching Consequences of Dating App Racism
- Folk Singer Janis Ian: Bill Cosby Blackballed Me From TV as a Teen
- Minister From Viral Video Is Not a Gay Rights Champion After All