Arm of the World Health Organization Takes Stance Against Reparative Therapy
BY Neal Broverman
May 18 2012 6:30 PM ET
The Pan American Health Organization came out strongly against "ex-gay" programs that attempt to turn gay people straight.
The PAHO is the oldest public health organization in the world, and the group serves as the World Health Organization's representative for North and South America. On Thursday, the International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia, PAHO issued a statement saying that reparative therapy is not only dangerous, but should be banned by the world's governments.
"These practices are unjustifiable and should be denounced and subject to sanctions and penalties under national legislation," PAHO director Dr. Mirta Roses Periago said in the statement. "These supposed conversion therapies constitute a violation of the ethical principles of health care and violate human rights that are protected by international and regional agreements."
The group believes that these dangerous "ex-gay" programs serve no purpose.
"Since homosexuality is not a disorder or a disease, it does not require a cure. There is no medical indication for changing sexual orientation," Periago writes. "Practices known as 'reparative therapy' or 'conversion therapy' represent "a serious threat to the health and well-being — even the lives — of affected people."
PAHO listed specific steps governments can take to battle such programs; read about them here.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Gay Politics - Marriage Equality, Gay Rights, Anti-Discrimination
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM