AIDS Activist Spencer Cox Dies
BY Sunnivie Brydum
December 18 2012 8:08 PM ET
Spencer Cox, a pivotal AIDS activist who helped spearhead research on lifesaving protease inhibitors, died this morning of AIDS-related causes at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital in New York City. He was 44 years old.
Cox cofounded Treatment Action Group and was a spokesman for ACT UP, and his activism began early. According to an obituary posted on ACT UP's website, Cox "schooled himself in the basic science of AIDS and became something of an expert, a 'citizen scientist' whose ideas were sought by working scientists. In the end, Spencer wrote the drug trial protocol which TAG proposed for testing the promising protease inhibitor drugs in 1995. Adopted by industry, it helped develop rapid and reliable answers about the power of those drugs, and led to their quick approval by the FDA."
Cox was featured prominently in David France's recent documentary about the AIDS epidemic, How to Survive A Plague, and in memory of the activist, France released the interview below, an outtake from his powerful documentary. Watch Cox's heartfelt reflections on a pivotal moment for AIDS patients in the video below.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- Democrats and Republicans Alike Wary of Virginia's Radical Lt. Gov. Nominee
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 38 min 30 sec ago
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 54 min 50 sec ago
- Love and Sex Dear Digital Romeo: How Do I Seduce a Guy Through Chat? 1 hour 17 min ago
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 2 hours 8 min ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 2 hours 51 min ago
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 3:13 PM
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 3:00 PM