Take Control for National HIV Testing Week
BY Michelle Garcia
June 27 2011 5:10 PM ET
Several politicians and notable figures are reaching out to remind people of the importance of National HIV Testing Week.
Bienestar Human Services kicked off HIV Testing Week with free tests all across Los Angeles.
"We are proud to be a part of this campaign for awareness," said Oscar De La O, president and CEO of Bienestar. "Because we offer a holistic set of services, all Angelenos that visit us for an HIV/AIDS test will also find many additional resources to encourage their long term health and well-being."
President Obama looked back at his administration's release of the National HIV/AIDS Strategy last year but noted that the first step in eradicating the virus is knowledge.
"One in five Americans living with HIV is not aware of their infection and this research highlights the imperative of making sure people know their HIV status and getting those who do have HIV into care," he said in a statement Monday.
Health and Human Services secretary Kathleen Sebelius said that the theme of this year's testing day, which was Monday, is "Take the Test. Take Control," a message that stresses that people who are diagnosed early in their infection can live long, healthy lives.
"A recent initiative to test for HIV more rigorously in emergency rooms and health centers in areas of need identified nearly 30,000 people with HIV," she said in a statement. "Of that group, more than 18,000 people did not know they had the infection. Health care providers are increasingly recognizing the importance of routine HIV testing for adults and adolescents, not just persons who have an identifiable 'risk factor.' We need to spread the word that knowing your HIV status helps you take control of your health, protect your loved ones, and get connected to treatment, if needed."
For more information on testing and to find out where to be tested for HIV, visit HIVTest.org
- PHOTOS: French Photographer Fights Homophobia With 'Imaginary Couples'
- No Marriage Rulings From Supremes Today
- PHOTOS: Baltimore's First Pride With Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Why Cindy McCain Really Is a 'Hero'
- Poland's Only Gay Parliamentarian Attacked After Pride
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel PHOTOS: L.A.'s Favorite Park Reopens After $45M Renovation June 17 2013 8:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Series Easy Abby Season Finale June 17 2013 8:16 PM
- Women Melissa Etheridge Says Angelina Jolie Made 'Fearful Choice' on Breast Cancer June 17 2013 6:46 PM
- Entertainment News NYC Gay Bar Gets Reality Show... June 17 2013 6:09 PM
- Women Duh: Ellen DeGeneres Is Still Most Recognizable Gay American June 17 2013 6:07 PM
- Sports Greg Louganis is Getting Married June 17 2013 6:06 PM
- Religion Gay Catholics Turn Their Backs to Cardinal Who Compared LGBT Equality to KKK June 17 2013 5:20 PM