BY Advocate.com Editors
December 02 2009 11:00 AM ET
HIV is hitting gay black men particularly hard (a 2005 study showed the prevalence rate among young, gay black men in five U.S. cities was nearly 50%) and now researchers believe they may know part of the reason why: prejudice and racism.
A survey of nearly 1,150 men who have sex with men in San Francisco, reported in the journal AIDS and Behavior, has shown that black gay men had a threefold higher level of same-race partnering than other racial groups, mostly due to the survey's findings that blacks were deemed the least preferred as sexual partners by men of other ethnicities. Being shunned by other gay men forces gay black men into closely knit sexual networks that allow HIV to rapidly spread once introduced.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader 2 hours 13 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? 2 hours 17 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! May 21 2013 8:29 PM
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. May 21 2013 8:25 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' May 21 2013 8:03 PM
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude May 21 2013 8:00 PM
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth May 21 2013 6:34 PM