BY Advocate.com Editors
December 02 2009 11:00 AM ET
HIV is hitting gay black men particularly hard (a 2005 study showed the prevalence rate among young, gay black men in five U.S. cities was nearly 50%) and now researchers believe they may know part of the reason why: prejudice and racism.
A survey of nearly 1,150 men who have sex with men in San Francisco, reported in the journal AIDS and Behavior, has shown that black gay men had a threefold higher level of same-race partnering than other racial groups, mostly due to the survey's findings that blacks were deemed the least preferred as sexual partners by men of other ethnicities. Being shunned by other gay men forces gay black men into closely knit sexual networks that allow HIV to rapidly spread once introduced.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen 2 hours 27 min ago
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 5:55 PM