BY Advocate.com Editors
December 02 2009 11:00 AM ET
HIV is hitting gay black men particularly hard (a 2005 study showed the prevalence rate among young, gay black men in five U.S. cities was nearly 50%) and now researchers believe they may know part of the reason why: prejudice and racism.
A survey of nearly 1,150 men who have sex with men in San Francisco, reported in the journal AIDS and Behavior, has shown that black gay men had a threefold higher level of same-race partnering than other racial groups, mostly due to the survey's findings that blacks were deemed the least preferred as sexual partners by men of other ethnicities. Being shunned by other gay men forces gay black men into closely knit sexual networks that allow HIV to rapidly spread once introduced.
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Mississippi Clerk Refuses to Wed Gay Couples, Quits After 24 Years
- George Takei Takes on Clarence Thomas and Donald Trump (and Wins!)
- Girl Scouts Return $100K When Donor Demands It 'Not Be Used' For Trans Girls
- Tennessee Hardware Store Puts Up 'No Gays Allowed' Sign
- Why Is the Duggar Family Paying the Cops Investigating Them?