Foods/Drinks to Avoid for Better Sleep
BY Advocate Contributors
March 04 2011 4:00 AM ET
Having trouble sleeping? While insomnia comes in various forms — inability to fall asleep, difficulty staying asleep for sufficient stretches of time, waking up too early in the morning — its effects can make your waking hours unpleasant.
There are many causes for sleeplessness, but before you seek the advice of an expert to help determine the cause of your lack of rest, try making some simple dietary modifications.
Avoiding foods and drinks with caffeine is an obvious choice, as it helps to activate the central nervous system, which in turns revs up your brain. Pete Bils, Vice President of Sleep Innovation and Clinical Research at Sleep Number, suggests avoiding caffeine (in the form of coffee, energy drinks, soda — even chocolate) altogether after noon. “Caffeine has a half-life of about six hours,” he says, “so if you consume a large espresso at 3 p.m., half of it is still coursing through your body when you’re getting ready for bed. Although you may be able to fall asleep, your body will miss out on some of the restorative benefits of sleep.”
Another suggestion is to avoid spicy foods around bedtime. Not only does your digestive system begin to slow as you lay down to sleep, those spicy peppers in your stomach can cause acid-reflux, which is a major sleep antagonist.
Keep in mind that alcohol, despite its tendency to make you tired, produces many sleep-impairing effects. It provides an adrenaline boost as well as impairs the transport of tryptophan to the brain, thus disrupting your serotonin levels. Interestingly enough, according to Bils, a recent University of Michigan study showed that alcohol consumption increases sleep disturbances in woman more so than men.
Lastly, beware of foods that are high in sugar and refined carbs. These can raise your blood sugar levels, causing bursts of energy that will keep your brain — and you — from getting that peaceful and restorative sleep that’s so crucial to good health and well being.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights December 08 2013 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM