BY Advocate Contributors
April 05 2010 2:40 AM ET
A year from now I will be 60. Holy shit! How did this happen?
I remember my 70-something mother looking in the mirror and saying, “Who is that old woman? I'm 17!"
Most of us have an inner age.
I've asked hundreds of clients and friends, "How old are you inside?"
The answer is usually 16 or 17, sometimes older ... once, it was 9. Personally, I have been 17 and 35 simultaneously — a kid and a level-headed adult. My physical image of myself is 35. When it comes to sex, I'm 17.
I am fortunate: I am 6 feet 1 inch tall. I weigh 172 pounds. I have a full head of hair. My number 1 boyfriend (I have not been in a traditional monogamous relationship for a number of years) says that it’s a good thing I am so goofy or people would hate me.
I do serious work in the world as a group facilitator at Friends in Deed in New York City, as a leader of the Mastery Workshop nationwide, and in private practice as a psychotherapist, primarily working with life-changing crisis and transition. However, I try not to take myself at all seriously.
I do believe in reinvention — of the individual and of the roles each of us play in our personal and public lives. Approaching 60 inspires me to reflect on many issues, including my vanity, my health, and my own ageism, especially the internalized prejudices about being this age, as a man, a gay man, a white man, an American, as someone who tested positive for HIV in 1984.
The last first: When I was 40, I never expected to see 60, certainly not as the vital and healthy man I am today. I tested positive for HIV as part of a study in 1984. My immune system crashed in 1994. I won a lottery to receive compassionate-usage access to a workable cocktail in 1995. My immune system began to rebuild am then, and I am blessed to be in extraordinary health today. When I turned 50, I realized that I had no vision for my 50s: I had been in survival mode since I was 35.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 51 min 23 sec ago
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 1 hour 51 min ago
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM