California HIV test counselor bill signed into law
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 29 2002 12:00 AM ET
California governor Gray Davis on Tuesday signed into law a bill that enables community-based organizations with expertise in HIV testing services to train new HIV testing counselors in the state. Currently there is a shortage of certified HIV testing counselors in California, particularly in minority communities. Training and certification had been available only under state supervision through county health departments and included a 32-hour, four-day course traditionally offered only during business hours on weekdays. Supporters of the new law say it will allow HIV service groups to conduct training at more convenient times, such as evenings and weekends, helping to create a much bigger pool of testing counselors.
"This bill paves the way for a whole new approach to HIV testing," said state assemblyman Gil Cedillo, who authored the bill. "By empowering community-based nonprofit organizations with expertise in HIV testing to recruit and train testing counselors, [the new law] enhances and supplements our counter-based training programs in an effort to reach more Californians with vital HIV testing, prevention, and outreach."
The bill was sponsored by the AIDS Healthcare Foundation and supported by numerous HIV/AIDS service organizations throughout the state.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Op-ed: Democrats Throw Queers Under the Bus—Again
- Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying?
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra May 25 2013 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? May 25 2013 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash May 25 2013 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings May 25 2013 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak May 25 2013 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 May 25 2013 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' May 25 2013 12:35 PM