ONAP director booed at U.S. Conference on AIDS
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 21 2002 12:00 AM ET
White House Office of National AIDS Policy director Joseph O'Neill was booed and jeered Thursday as he spoke of the Bush administration's support of abstinence-only HIV prevention programs at the U.S. Conference on AIDS in Anaheim, Calif., the Orange County Register reports. Conference attendees also expressed dismay over O'Neill's comments regarding Bush's opposition to needle-exchange programs to prevent HIV transmission among injection-drug users. "I know there are concerns in this room about the Administration's policies--or what our policies are imagined to be," O'Neill told the crowd. "We have to try to bring more voices to the table. Abstinence is one of those voices. We have not made a dent in the annual number of new infections in years. And we cannot afford to close our ears to any ideas."
But Dan Gleason, executive director of Orange County's AIDS Services Foundation, said there is no evidence that abstinence programs are effective, adding that they fail to address safer-sex issues for young people who will eventually become sexually active. "It's not an enlightened perspective," he said. "It's a perspective that doesn't take good solid health education into account."
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 15 min 27 sec ago
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? May 21 2013 10:00 PM
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! May 21 2013 8:29 PM
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. May 21 2013 8:25 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' May 21 2013 8:03 PM
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude May 21 2013 8:00 PM