Albuquerque project lowers unsafe sex rates among gay men
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 26 2002 11:00 PM ET
Albuquerque's Mpowerment Project, a safer-sex program for gay and bisexual men, has overcome a nationwide trend of increased unprotected sex among gay men by providing its participants with the ability to talk openly with their peers about risky sex, the Albuquerque Journal reports. The rate of unprotected sex among gay men in the city dropped by 12% from 1996 to 1999, according to city health officials, who credit part of the drop to the success of the program. By comparison, rates of unprotected sex climbed by 42% during the same period among gay men in Austin and by 26% among gay men in Phoenix.
"Before this program came along, I never really talked about sex with my peers," said John Hamiga, 32, who coordinates the Albuquerque program. "It was an accepted thing that, 'Oh, some guys are going to get HIV.' What we've proved is that people want alternatives."
The program is run out of Mpower House, operated by New Mexico AIDS Services. Mpowerment Project events typically include large and small group gatherings at which participants talk about safe choices regarding sex, drugs, alcohol, and relationships. About 100 people attend events at the facility every night, Hamiga said. The program's success has led to the establishment of similar programs in Atlanta; Boston; Denver; Honolulu; Miami; Boulder, Colo.; San Jose, Calif.; and Walnut Creek, Calif.
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Television WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever! 26 min 38 sec ago
- Comedy Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School 1 hour 26 min ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: These Couples Prove Love Is Love 2 hours 26 min ago
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM