FDA expected to approve rapid HIV test
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 02 2002 12:00 AM ET
Government analysts expect the Food and Drug Administration to give final approval for a fast-response finger-prick test for HIV antibodies within the next two weeks, the Los Angeles Times reports. In May the FDA awarded preliminary approval to the test, which requires only one drop of blood and can produce results within 20 minutes. Standard HIV antibody tests require blood taken from a vein and can take 10 to 14 days to produce results. The final approval is expected because lingering technical and manufacturing issues cited in May by the FDA have been cleared up, the analysts say.
Health care workers hope to use the quick-turnaround test on people who undergo HIV antibody tests at health clinics but do not return several days later for their results. "The potential for saving lives by using this technology, we think, is revolutionary," said Clint Trout, associate director of federal government affairs for Los Angeles-based AIDS Healthcare Foundation. "We think that the rapid test could be for prevention what protease inhibitors have been for treatment."
Test manufacturer OraSure Technologies also is seeking approval from the FDA to waive requirements that the test results be processed by laboratory technicians, which would allow HIV outreach workers to conduct on-the-street testing in at-risk communities. It's unclear whether the regulatory body will approve that waiver.
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Nintendo Will 'Fix' Bug That Allows Same-Sex Couples to Marry in Video Game
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
- The Small Southwestern Town That Went Rogue
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride 26 min 46 sec ago
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 27 min 57 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Robin Tyler's Rally Cry at Long Beach Dyke March 28 min 21 sec ago
- Television WATCH: Gay Character in Peril in New Teen Wolf Season 3 Trailer 1 hour 27 min ago
- Commentary Stop Acting Like I'm Dead Because I Have HIV 1 hour 41 min ago
- Entertainment News 'Turn Back Time' For Cher's Birthday 1 hour 54 min ago
- Women Texas Judge Says Lesbian Mom Can't Live With Partner and Keep Custody of Kids 1 hour 59 min ago