MTV to examine abstinence-only sex education
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 03 2002 12:00 AM ET
MTV on Thursday, October 3, will air a half-hour television special examining sex education in schools and the Bush administration's push for abstinence-only sex education as part of the network's ongoing "Fight for Your Rights" campaign. The program, titled "Fight for Your Rights: Protect Yourself: Sex in the Classroom," includes interviews with teenagers in Lubbock, Tex., who joined together to push for comprehensive sex education, including the use of condoms to prevent HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases, because they were alarmed by the city's rates of teen pregnancy and STD infections.
Results from a poll of 1,061 people ages 13 to 18 on sex education issues also will be presented. That survey found that 84% of the respondents believe school-based sex education programs should include information on contraception and condom use. Nearly three quarters of the respondents also opposed federal funding of abstinence-only sex and HIV prevention education.
Check local listings for airtimes.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Google's International Women's Day Doodle Includes Trans Women
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 50 min 26 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 2 hours 28 min ago
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 2 hours 32 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM