South Dakota student sentenced to four years
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 03 2002 12:00 AM ET
Nikko Briteramos, a 19-year-old HIV-positive college student previously found guilty of exposing a sex partner to HIV, was sentenced Tuesday to four years in prison for violating the sentencing agreement reached in the original HIV case. Briteramos had received a five-year suspended jail sentence, which included the provision that he spend 120 days in jail with scheduled furloughs so that he could attend classes at Si Tanka-Huron University in Huron, S.D.
On the day he received the suspended sentence, Briteramos was released from jail to register for college classes, but he disappeared for more than 5 1/2 hours, during which he visited his apartment and the apartment of a friend. Briteramos's attorney argued that the young man encountered difficulties in registering for classes and "kind of panicked." But Judge Tim Dallas Tucker, who gave Briteramos the original sentence in the HIV exposure case, ruled that the lengthy absence from jail constituted escape and sentenced the student to four years in prison. He will be eligible for parole in two years.
Briteramos is the first person in South Dakota to be found guilty of knowingly exposing a sex partner to HIV.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
- Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra May 25 2013 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? May 25 2013 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash May 25 2013 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings May 25 2013 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak May 25 2013 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 May 25 2013 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' May 25 2013 12:35 PM