One fifth of women carry HPV strain linked with cervical cancer
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 15 2002 12:00 AM ET
A study published in the November 14 edition of The Journal of Infectious Diseases shows that nearly 20% of U.S. women ages 12 to 59 are infected with human papillomavirus type 16, the strain of HPV linked with more than half of all cervical cancers, Reuters Health reports. Researchers at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention analyzed blood samples from 9,629 men and women ages 12 to 59. Approximately 18% of the women's samples tested positive for HPV-16 antibodies. African-American women were shown to have the highest incidence of HPV-16 infection, and women in their 20s were more likely to be infected than women in their 50s.
"These findings document the high levels of HPV-16 infection in the United States, especially in women," the researchers said. "Our findings have important public health implications for the development of cervical cancer prevention and control strategies." The actual HPV-16 infection rate could be considerably higher because many women never develop antibodies to the virus, they added.
- Op-Ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- 11 Great New Tech Gifts
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Commentary Op-Ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful 0 sec ago
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics 42 min 50 sec ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes 57 min 13 sec ago
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn 1 hour 15 min ago
- Women Pussy Riot To Be Freed 1 hour 28 min ago
- Health New Campaign Inspires LGBT Americans to Take Advantage of Obamacare 2 hours 55 min ago
- Television Meet the New Queens of RuPaul's Drag Race 3:51 PM