Corpus Christi, Tex., AIDS foundation runs out of money
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 24 2002 12:00 AM ET
The Coastal Bend AIDS Foundation in Corpus Christi, Tex., has run out of money as a result of a contract dispute that resulted in the agency's funding being held since September, and the agency is on the brink of curtailing services without new donations, the Corpus Christi Caller-Times reports.
A disputed clause in a contract between the Bexar County Department of Housing and Human Services and the AIDS agency has prevented disbursement of the organization's annual $500,000 grant from the department. Although Corpus Christi is in Nueces County, after September, funding for Corpus Christi and other area cities was turned over to Bexar County by the state.
The Texas Department of Health held an emergency meeting in Austin last week to discuss sending funds directly to the foundation, which serves more than 400 HIV-positive people in the Corpus Christi area. The agency is owed more than $240,000 in back funding from Bexar County, but hopes to get at least $75,000 immediately to continue its operations through the end of the year. If no money is received, the agency will stop all services until state funds finally come in.
- VIDEO: Duck Dynasty Star Says Gay People are Evil Murderers
- Report: A&E CEO Suspended Robertson for Sake of Gay Employees
- Should PR Exec Be Fired for AIDS Tweet?
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- BREAKING: Utah Marriage Ban Unconstitutional
- LGBT Activist Goes Missing in Buffalo, Community Rallies
- Television Bevy Smith, Bravo's Queen of Fashion 21 min 22 sec ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Amazing Gay Rodeo Exhibit in Indianapolis December 21 2013 6:34 PM
- Media Report: A&E CEO Suspended Robertson for Sake of Gay Employees December 21 2013 5:37 PM
- Media Should PR Exec Be Fired for AIDS Tweet? December 21 2013 3:03 PM
- Media VIDEO: Duck Dynasty Star Says Gay People are Evil Murderers December 21 2013 2:25 PM
- Business Lockheed Martin Cuts Off Money to Antigay Boy Scouts December 21 2013 1:10 PM
- Transgender LGBT Activist Goes Missing, Community Rallies December 21 2013 12:08 PM