U.S. temporarily eases drug patent restrictions
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 27 2002 1:00 AM ET
Scrambling to undo public relations damage resulting when U.S. officials single-handedly blocked approval of a World Trade Organization plan that would allow poor countries to make or import cheap generic medications, the Bush administration has announced it will temporarily allow nations to override American drug company patents, The Wall Street Journal reports. U.S. trade representative Robert Zoellick announced Monday that developing nations will be permitted to make or import generic drugs used to treat HIV/AIDS, malaria, tuberculosis, and other serious health problems while WTO officials continue to refine the blueprint for a more permanent program. WTO representatives will begin meeting again in January with a goal of reaching an agreement by February 11.
WTO members agreed in November 2001 that poor countries should, under international rules, be able to produce their own generics to deal with public health emergencies, without permission from the companies that hold the patents. Many poor nations, however, argued they did not have the industrial capacity to produce quality drugs, and they asked that they be allowed to import generics. WTO members pledged to resolve that issue by the end of 2002. The talks collapsed, however, when U.S. officials insisted on language in the agreement that would limit the program only to certain infectious diseases. The United States was the only country to vote against the final WTO proposal on December 20.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader 1 hour 24 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? 1 hour 29 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! May 21 2013 8:29 PM
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. 8:25 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' 8:03 PM
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude 8:00 PM
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 6:34 PM