Bono, U.K. artists write song honoring Nelson Mandela
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 28 2002 12:00 AM ET
Irish rock star Bono and U.K. musicians Dave Stewart of Eurythmics and the late Joe Strummer of the Clash have written a song honoring former South African president Nelson Mandela that will be performed at "Mandela S.O.S.," a February 2 benefit concert to raise money to fight HIV/AIDS in South Africa. The song is titled "48864" in honor of Mandela's prison number when he was jailed for 18 years on Robben Island--where the concert will be held--for speaking out against apartheid. The concert will be broadcast worldwide, with funds raised going to the Nelson Mandela Foundation, the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS, and the Robben Island Museum. Performers will include Shaggy, Queen, Macy Gray, Nelly Furtado, Jimmy Cliff, Coldplay, Ludacris, Deborah Cox, and several South African artists.
"The concert will focus on the growing impact that AIDS has had on human life, not only in South Africa but throughout the world," Mandela said. "We must never allow those who are infected and affected by AIDS to become statistics."
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Morrissey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography
- Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates?
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM
- No More Bullying WATCH: It Gets Better Speaks to Russian LGBT Youth December 05 2013 6:33 PM
- World News LGBT Rights Are 'Essential Part' of U.S. Foreign Policy, Says Susan Rice December 05 2013 6:15 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year December 05 2013 6:00 PM