Bono, U.K. artists write song honoring Nelson Mandela
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 28 2002 1:00 AM ET
Irish rock star Bono and U.K. musicians Dave Stewart of Eurythmics and the late Joe Strummer of the Clash have written a song honoring former South African president Nelson Mandela that will be performed at "Mandela S.O.S.," a February 2 benefit concert to raise money to fight HIV/AIDS in South Africa. The song is titled "48864" in honor of Mandela's prison number when he was jailed for 18 years on Robben Island--where the concert will be held--for speaking out against apartheid. The concert will be broadcast worldwide, with funds raised going to the Nelson Mandela Foundation, the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS, and the Robben Island Museum. Performers will include Shaggy, Queen, Macy Gray, Nelly Furtado, Jimmy Cliff, Coldplay, Ludacris, Deborah Cox, and several South African artists.
"The concert will focus on the growing impact that AIDS has had on human life, not only in South Africa but throughout the world," Mandela said. "We must never allow those who are infected and affected by AIDS to become statistics."
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Jeremy Irons Says He's Not Antigay But Made 'Valid' Case
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 19 min 58 sec ago
- Women SheWired Shot of the Day: Chloe Sevigny Absolut-ly Sizzles for Elyxr 44 min 52 sec ago
- Crime Arrest Made in Latest Antigay Attack in NYC 55 min 35 sec ago
- Youth Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business 1 hour 12 sec ago
- Youth Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids 1 hour 16 min ago
- Theater See Which Hunk Won the 2013 Broadway Beauty Pageant 1 hour 19 min ago
- Politicians Harvey Milk Day: First Park in Nation Named for Rights Pioneer 1 hour 32 min ago