New Jersey AIDS panel urges state to provide condoms to students
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 11 2003 12:00 AM ET
The New Jersey Governor's Advisory Council on AIDS has issued a report to Gov. James McGreevey that says the state should boost its efforts to prevent the spread of HIV by providing condoms to teenage public school students and clean needles to injection-drug users, The [Newark] Star-Ledger reports. McGreevey, a Democrat, has already proposed a statewide pilot needle-exchange program but has left it up to individual school districts to decide whether to provide condoms to students. No New Jersey school district has taken steps to adopt condom distribution policies in the past.
Terrence Zealand, acting chairman of the council, said he hoped that the recommendations would prompt some schools into voluntarily launching condom distribution programs. "Some districts will hopefully take our recommendations to heart and implement it, and some districts I'm sure will ignore it," he said.
The council's report was compiled by health care workers, lawmakers, administration officials, and clergy. The recommendations were the first to be issued by the council since 1996. New Jersey currently ranks fifth in the nation in number of AIDS cases, according to 2001 state Department of Health and Senior Services statistics.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Bryan Singer Announces News for Next X-Men Film
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries
- Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback
- PHOTOS: Brazilian Couples Get Married En Masse
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 0 sec ago
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 11 min 13 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 15 min 13 sec ago
- Politics Gay Former Republican Congressman Condemns Interparty Discrimination 3:07 PM
- World News Putin Tightens Grip on Kremlin-Run News Agencies 3:02 PM
- Film Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries 2:53 PM
- Travel Super Seniors of the Palm Springs Follies Prepare for the End 2:49 PM