Houston AIDS activists to hold protest
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 16 2003 12:00 AM ET
Houston AIDS activists are set to travel to the Texas capitol in Austin on January 16 to protest possible cuts to the Texas HIV Medication Program, the main source of HIV medications for thousands of HIV-positive state residents, the Houston Voice reports. The program, which is Texas's AIDS Drug Assistance Program, has a projected $7 million budget shortfall in fiscal 2003. Lawmakers are required by state law to balance the program's budget and are considering a proposal to tighten financial eligibility requirements to those earning 140% of the federal poverty level, or about $12,400 per year. The program's cutoff level is currently 200% of the poverty level.
Activists plan to lobby lawmakers to wait until federal appropriations for the program are announced before changing the eligibility requirements. If approved, the new requirements would take effect for new clients in 30 days, with current clients given six months to reapply or find other assistance. Activists say more than 1,000 people in Houston alone will lose access to HIV antiretrovirals if the proposed changes are approved.
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Bill O'Reilly's 'War on Christmas' Led By Abortionists and Married Gays
- Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates?
- World News Nelson Mandela, Humanitarian and HIV Advocate, Dies at 95 14 min 18 sec ago
- Women Toni Braxton's Dream Role Is to Play Lesbian on Orange Is the New Black 15 min 28 sec ago
- Entertainment News Sam Champion Receives Emotional Send-Off From Good Morning America 45 min 47 sec ago
- Style Model Watch: Learn How To Charm The Camera With Marc Buckner 1 hour 16 min ago
- News New York Officials Demand Olympic Sponsors Take Action 1 hour 48 min ago
- Election Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates? 1 hour 50 min ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Queer Cruise Excursion? 1 hour 53 min ago