Activists meet with Roche over Fuzeon cost
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 19 2003 12:00 AM ET
Representatives from six state AIDS Drug Assistance Programs met Monday with officials from Roche, the codeveloper of the newly approved HIV entry inhibitor Fuzeon, to discuss the drug's expected high cost, the Los Angeles Times reports. Although Roche and Trimeris have not announced the U.S. price for the drug, Fuzeon will cost more than $20,000 per person per year in Europe. The U.S. price is expected to be even higher. ADAP officials say such a high price tag will prevent them from being able to offer it to people who receive anti-HIV medications through the drug assistance programs.
"With the current budget restraints, we're concerned that [the state drug assistance program] doesn't have sufficient funding to continue our existing level of services," said Michael Montgomery, chief of the California Office of AIDS. "Adding a highly expensive drug is problematic."
Michael Weinstein, president of the AIDS Healthcare Foundation, added, "If just 15% of California's ADAP patients were on Fuzeon, they would use up more than half of the current entire yearly California ADAP budget--more than $75 million."
Wayne Haught, manager of the Texas ADAP, expressed similar concerns. "Nothing would make me happier than to provide this for our clients," he said. "But that price tag--I'm just shocked. I don't see how we could do it."
An announcement from Roche and Trimeris regarding Fuzeon's U.S. price is expected before the drug starts shipping in late March or early April. It is unclear whether the company will offer discounted prices to ADAPs.
- Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts New Anthem Supporting LGBT Russians
- Game of Thrones Video Game Announced
- Politics Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year 1 hour 10 min ago
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson December 12 2013 6:03 PM