Revised California budget cuts ADAP funding
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 21 2003 12:00 AM ET
The revised California budget proposed by Gov. Gray Davis still underfunds the state's AIDS Drug Assistance Program by $12.8 million, threatening the health of thousands of low-income HIV-positive people in the state, say officials with the San Francisco AIDS Foundation. Overall funding for ADAP was increased slightly in the budget over fiscal 2002 levels, and plans to require program participants to pay larger copays for anti-HIV drugs were scrapped, but the funding level is still short the amount ADAP officials say they will need for the coming year.
"Ensuring access to medications that keep people healthy and improve quality of life must be a priority for the state of California," said Dana Van Gorder of SFAF. "Without sufficient funds for ADAP, some people living with HIV/AIDS would be denied access to medications and could experience health deterioration and possibly death as a result. The governor and our lawmakers in Sacramento must not allow this to occur."
California's ADAP provides anti-HIV medications to about 25,000 HIV-positive state residents. The program is estimated to need about $184 million this year, about $160 million of which is funded through federal dollars. The state is planning to contribute an additional $11.2 million for the program, leaving a gap of about $12.8 million. SFAF and other groups are urging the state to help bridge the gap by negotiating for steeper price discounts on anti-HIV medications with the drug manufacturers and by boosting state funding for the program.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- HIV & AIDS Why Are a Higher Percentage of Native Americans Dying from AIDS Complications Than Any Other Group? 48 min 36 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Lorde Is Not Having Your Stupid Lesbian Joke 1 hour 14 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: In Defense of Looking 2 hours 58 min ago
- Current Issue Truly Social Networking 6:01 AM
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 5:00 AM
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM