ADAP groups blast federal funding proposal
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 21 2003 12:00 AM ET
Representatives of the nation's AIDS Drug Assistance Programs and the national ADAP Working Group blasted the House Appropriations Committee Thursday for its recommendation to boost ADAP funding by only $38.9 million in fiscal 2004, less than 20% of the additional funding ADAPs say they need to maintain services. "It seems clear that no one in the Administration has been looking at reports of serious shortfalls coming from the [state ADAPs]," said Lei Chou of the AIDS Treatment Data Network and cochair of the ADAP Working Group. According to the National Association of State and Territorial AIDS Directors, there are already 630 people on ADAP waiting lists around the country, 10 state programs had already capped enrollment, and 20 more were planning to implement ADAP restrictions due to funding shortfalls.
"On behalf of the more than 80,000 clients per month being served by ADAPs, and especially on behalf of the thousands that could be prevented from accessing ADAP services if sufficient funding is not made available, we ask that Congress recognize the urgency of the ADAP crisis and appropriate the full $283 million increase this life-saving and life-enhancing program requires if it is to meet the needs of all Americans living with HIV/AIDS," said Bill Arnold, director of the ADAP Working Group. "We must now hope that members of the Senate recognize their own state crises in ADAP and that the White House pays attention to potentially thousands of HIV-positive Americans who will go without access to HIV/AIDS medications."
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- WATCH: Chelsea Handler Skewers Piers Morgan as a 'Terrible Interviewer'
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- S.C. House Approves Budget Cuts to Colleges With LGBT Curricula
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Marriage Equality Young Repubs Express Big Support for Marriage Equality 12 min 12 sec ago
- Television Teen Wolf Adds Gay Character, Expands Lacrosse Team 16 min 7 sec ago
- Television Teen Wolf Adds Gay Character, Expands Lacrosse Team 16 min 8 sec ago
- Women 5 Reasons to Watch CW's Arrow and 'Quiver!' 16 min 18 sec ago
- Politics Kenyan Lesbian Granted Asylum in U.S. 16 min 35 sec ago
- Religion WATCH: Methodist Church Drops Charges Against Minister 37 min 13 sec ago
- Media WATCH: Chelsea Handler Skewers Piers Morgan as a 'Terrible Interviewer' 1 hour 7 min ago