Atlanta officials say meth use by gay men has become a crisis
April 19 2004 11:00 PM ET
Health officials in Atlanta say crystal meth use by gay men in the city has become a crisis and link abuse of the drug to rising rates of risky sexual behaviors, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports. According to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and San Francisco Department of Public Health data, gay and bisexual men who use meth are twice as likely to have unprotected sex than nonusers and are more than three times as likely to be HIV-positive. Research also shows that meth use weakens the immune system and adversely interacts with antiretroviral medications, making the drug's use more serious for HIV-positive men.
Crystal meth abuse is commonplace among gay men in New York and San Francisco, where awareness campaigns have been launched in the past few months. But John Ballew, an Atlanta therapist with a large gay-male client base, tells the Journal-Constitution the problem "is just as bad" in Atlanta as in the other major cities. Health officials in Atlanta are just starting to recognize the problem, the newspaper reports, and most AIDS organizations in the area also have done little to date to address the meth abuse beyond distributing condoms in gay bars and clubs where meth users may be meeting sex partners.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match
- Gay Politics - Marriage Equality, Gay Rights, Anti-Discrimination
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- Day in LGBT America The Many Faces of LGBT Family 26 min 41 sec ago
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 27 min 5 sec ago
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM