Former director of Maine AIDS Alliance pleads guilty to theft
October 13 2004 12:00 AM ET
The former director of the Maine AIDS Alliance, an umbrella group for 13 organizations, has pleaded guilty to theft, and the state has moved to drop charges of misuse of entrusted property and falsifying private records. On Friday in Kennebec County superior court, Randall Norcross agreed to a maximum sentence of three years in prison, with all but six months suspended, and four years of probation. Assistant attorney general Michael Colleran alleged that Norcross wrote 23 unauthorized checks to cover personal expenses between September 1999 and December 2001, when he left the Augusta-based MAA. Norcross told justice S. Kirk Studstrup that he had taken the position at MAA at a low salary and was unable to take the four weeks of vacation he had negotiated because he was the sole full-time employee. Norcross said he began writing the checks in lieu of his vacation time. Sharon Pray, an MAA board member who took over as interim director after Norcross, said his actions damaged the financial integrity of the alliance and produced "deep feelings of betrayal among those with AIDS." She added, "Mr. Norcross has sullied the public face and respectable name of Maine AIDS Alliance."
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 March 11 2014 5:55 PM