Black U.S. AIDS Rates Rival Those of Some African Nations
July 31 2008 12:00 AM ET
A new report
published by the Black AIDS Institute is intended to raise
awareness and remind the public that the "AIDS epidemic is
not over in America, especially not in Black America,"
"AIDS in America
today is a black disease," says Phill Wilson, founder
and CEO of the institute to CNN. "2006 CDC data tell us that
about half of the just over 1 million Americans living with
HIV or AIDS are black."
represent only about one in eight Americans, but one in
every two people living with HIV in the United States is
black, states the report, titled "Left Behind - Black
America: A Neglected Priority in the Global AIDS."
The study uses
new data from UNAIDS along with existing CDC and Census
data. The data revealed that AIDS remains the leading cause
of death among black women between ages 25 and 34, and
it is the second-leading cause of death in black men
According to this
report, if black Americans made up their own country,
it would rank above Ethiopia (420,000) and below Ivory Coast
(750,000) in the number of those infected
Wilson urges the
federal government and private foundations to
significantly increase funding for HIV prevention and
The report also
calls on international agencies to hold the U.S.
government accountable for failure to address HIV/AIDS
epidemic in its own country.
Foundation and the Elton John AIDS Foundation funded the
study. (The Advocate)
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper 17 min 4 sec ago
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 1 hour 2 min ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship 2 hours 13 min ago
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy 2 hours 15 min ago
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 6:09 PM
- Travel Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples 5:07 PM